In life we preplan for many events that will occur in the future, such as weddings, graduations, birthdays, vacations, even retirement. Today more than ever, many people understand the value of preplanning their own funeral arrangements.
Benefits of Preplanning
- Decisions can be made while not under duress
- Be spared making difficult decisions at a stressful and difficult time
- To assure that your wishes will be carried out
- Time to consider all options that are right for you and your family
- The arrangements and costs are decided by you
- Costs are protected from inflation
- Funds are tax sheltered
- Monthly payment plans are available through insurance that is tailor-made to the arrangements you chose
- Relieves survivors of the financial burdens
- Gives “Peace of Mind” to all concerned
- Arrangements and funds are transferable anywhere in the world
- No membership fees
Suggestions for Preplanning
- Make sure your survivors are aware and are in favor of your decisions.
- Sometimes “we think less of ourselves than our loved ones do,” keep that in mind as you consider your final wishes.
- Take time to reflect on what you would like done in regards to services such as a graveside service, a memorial service, a reception, and a service in a church or local religious facility.
- Consider detailed aspects such as cemetery plot location (cremation or burial), flowers, pictures, video slide shows, special instrumental and/or musicians.
- Discuss with your partner or spouse, each other’s wishes, and consider input from them in regards to types of service and details of service.
- When gathering your ideas for your arrangements it is important to consider that it is not necessary to pay for the requested services at the time that the preplanned arrangements are made.
Pre-arranging and preplanning is a decision that only you can make, however, it is a decision that will affect those who you love the most.